If there is a process to manage tasks and productivity then I guarantee that I have tried and tested it! Yep, I went through a phase of using MS Outlook tasks, Franklin Covey systems, reminders on my iphone, a variety of apps, to do lists in my diary and no matter what system I use they always have a short life line. The bottom line is that nothing out there is available in more than one medium, and I just get bored….until I found Wunderlist. The app store is filled with options, none of them are really like Wunderlist. Just simple, down to earth and most importantly: free!!
I discovered whilst in the desktop app store for my iMac and I was downloading the new mountain lion software.
This app focuses on making it faster to add and organize tasks as you write them down, through simple shortcuts that arrange your tasks as you create them, for example:
- If you type an asterisk before the text of a task, it will be added as a “bookmarked” or “prioritised” task.
- You can use hashtags to mark tasks by simpler dates, like “#today”
- It also recognises dates in a simpler, more human format, like “in a month”
- If you create a task by pressing Alt+Return, it will be created at the top of the other tasks (and below the bookmarked tasks)
- While you are creating a task, you can use the “Up” and “Down” buttons to switch between lists in which to create the task. I have three lists called A B & C, utilising the Franklin Covey system, which works well for me.
Now this is where the magic happens….
Wunderlist for iPhone / iPad and Android
Wunderlist is a cloud based app ( a bit like Dropbox or Evernote). The introduction of a mobile app was pure genius! Now you can click the little sync button and it doesn’t matter which device or computer you are looking at you can view, edit, delete or add any tasks at the touch of a button!
I particularly like the ability to share my lists with my PA, and another list which I call “Project Designs” is shared with my designer. Once the list has been shared then both parties can update or edit the list at anytime. It’s great to see items ticked off of my list by someone else
So, if you are looking for some productivity software with a difference then I urge you to check out Wunderlist.